when the point is kicking at something/one...

a strong , basic reference to mother nature (or other living species including woods and plants) combined with a kind of interest (between different ethnic humans) for some examples of those non human species is certainly a good test of common development.
teamwork, like in the teamsports

common curiosity ( for aerospace science, between european nations creating the eurospace agency, f.i.)

and even greed ( to gain more bucks together, as big multinational corporations do daily) builds bridges over oceans, or trough the digital net we live immersed in)

In a Kosovo little town a newly rebuild bridge between two different ethnic or religious groups can't resolve, yet , their diferences. mayby they should have a common enemy, or a common friend, to be reunited. to act together to "defend" their group as a wolf pack.

a common positive or negative goal can fix problems.
united against a tyran (revolutionaries or "terrorists" like the first freedom fighters called palestinians who were considered so) or for a sport result, therefore wars and football (soccer or pseudo american hand/football) are alike as team works of a group against another ...
(similarly many prefer to see sports and wars from a TV screen instead of participating directly , physically, in the real show...)

in that town meaby some lions should be send free, or toros like in Pampelona, to attain a cohesion , forgetting their pseudo differences for languages, traditions and religions to work together for solving a common problem.

or they should facilitate immigration of another third ,different, human group, so to have a common point of reference.
actually the majority of big human groups progressively formed themselves by uniting efforts against a tribal or more sophisticated common enemy before integrating it later into their original one.

new forms of travel augmented those factors, and cities like NewYork , marseille or London are the results of those slow progressive integrations, but not all new groups were easily admitted.

In some place racial differences are still evident.

finally, when the point is kicking at something/one everyone reunites with everybody...
(football / gangs, same fights...) :-) each team against the others... at least for a while, even just to have some fun...

(I wonder if on that point the individual sport is different. A lone sportman or woman ( a boxer f.i.) has no immediate benefit from a teamwork activity when running or playing(?) alone "against" or with his concurrent....)

take care.
Patrick