social justice issue, I'm delurking to toss this out there

<HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>Hi folks.&nbsp; I usually lurk in DesignL, but I thought this was worth coming out of hiding.&nbsp; <BR>I've just read an article in the NY Times and I think it's important to draw attention<BR>to it and ask people to act, if they're willing.&nbsp; Please forward this information<BR>to anyone you believe would care.&nbsp; It's not design, but is social justice, and I know many of you hold some passionate social justice views.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Nicholas Kristof isn't always an editorialist I look for, but in this case he wrote of a Pakistani woman who's survived a terrible crime and used her own malfortune to fund and support schools for boys AND girls in her village.&nbsp; The Pakistani government, apparently, is not living up to its promises of support. I know, shocking, shocking.&nbsp; But she's making a direct appeal and if anyone chooses to contribute, US bucks go a long way in that part of the world.</P>
<P>I do know that most of you read the NY Times and I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse,&nbsp;being redundant. This simply touched me and I wanted to distribute it among folks of good conscience.&nbsp; I've already had a reply from Kristof with Ms. Mukhtaran's address, and I include that&nbsp;below.<BR><BR>I sincerely apologize for invading the the mailing list with&nbsp;off topic stuff, but I think this merits the breach.&nbsp; </P>
<P><BR><A href="http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/29/opinion/29kris.html"; target=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/29/opinion/29kris.html</A> <BR><BR>Kristof also responded online&nbsp;to queries about how to help Ms. Mukhtaran if you want more details.&nbsp; This can be found at <A href="http://www.nytimes.com/kristofresponds"; target=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/kristofresponds</A>.&nbsp; I post the link to save you folks<BR>bandwidth.&nbsp; This isn't a Nigerian scam.&nbsp; This is an accredited columnist (who I <BR>don't always agree with but who IS real!) at a paper which is currently scrutinizing<BR>itself rigorously in the wake of false journalism scandals.&nbsp; I believe this to be<BR>a valid report and a good risk.<BR><BR>I apologize again for taking time for off topic subjects, but I hope you guys find<BR>this as important as I did, and that you share it with others who might act directly<BR>to help.<BR><BR>Jylene Livengood</P>
<P>For those who wish to help, from Kristof:</P>
<P>Thank you, the money will go a long way there.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Her address is:<BR><BR>Mukhtaran Bibi<BR>Meerwala <BR>Tehsil Jatoi <BR>Post Office Wadowallah District <BR>Muzaffargarh <BR>Punjab Pakistan <BR><BR>She has a bank account, and so if you make a check out to her, she should be able to receive it and deposit it. There's always some risk that the mail won't work, but nobody else will be able to use the check if it's made to her. And i'm sure she'll use the money for the school.<BR><BR>There is actually a phone in the school, so if you have a Punjabi speaker around that person could call (from the US) 011 92 661 460-233. But no one there speaks English or even Urdu. <BR><BR>I'm afraid you probably won't get a thank you note, because nobody can write english (but there is an "english teacher" who can read simple english). i'm sure the money will be well used and will go far, though.<BR>&nbsp;<BR><B>Alternatively</B>, you can send checks for Mukhtaran Bibi to me here at the Times and I will forward them in a batch.&nbsp; <B>Be sure to write the checks out to her and not me!<BR></B>&nbsp;<BR>For Mukhtaran Bibi<BR>c/o Nicholas Kristof<BR>229 West 43<SUP>rd</SUP> St. , 10<SUP>th</SUP> Floor<BR>The New York Times<BR>New York, NY 10036<BR>&nbsp;</P></BODY><PRE>

For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.</PRE>
<pre>
--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...