Tulane University upgraded 1,300 architecture graduates' degrees from bachelor's to master's. . .

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/state/10003024.htm

NEW ORLEANS - Tulane University upgraded 1,300 architecture graduates' degrees from bachelor's to master's, and hundreds of the alumni came from around the globe for the ceremony.
The graduates were told their labors at the campus, typically covering five years, were comparable with master's-level work. Since it first began awarding professional architecture degrees in 1898, Tulane has called its basic professional architecture degree a bachelor's, regardless of the number of credits required.

"It's saying that the title of the degree is appropriate to what their education was," said Ila Berman, associate dean of the School of Architecture. "This is happening at other architecture schools, but we're one of the first five in the country that have actually undertaken this."

Emile Fuhrmann, 93, represented the earliest class, 1934. A bit shaky as he clutched his new degree and waited for Friday's ceremony to start, Fuhrmann, who lives in Jefferson Parish, said his daughter persuaded him to come.

"I don't know what good (the master's) is going to do me now, but anyway, I've got it," he said with a smile. "If I had gotten it 70 years ago, it would have been a big help in getting me a job."

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture is working with Tulane and other universities to update the nomenclature for architecture programs.

Tulane is sending out about 900 master's degrees to graduates who didn't make Friday's event.

- - -
Subscribers to Design List are required to list their actual names
during the subscription process. Names of known organizations are
accepted at the discretion of the list owner. All other listings of
subscribers are deleted from the list.
- - -
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...