Taliesin.

The Holy Bible, Chapter 90, Psalms, 17: And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.

http://www.saukcounty.com/taliesin.htm
Taliesin has been described as Frank Lloyd Wright's autobiography in wood and stone.

In a rural Wisconsin landscape stands the place where America's premier architect lived and worked for the majority of his illustrious career: Taliesin.

Frank Lloyd Wright built Taliesin as a home for himself, his family, his architectural practice, and later the Taliesin Fellowship.

Wright lived and worked at Taliesin from 1911 until his death in 1959, creating built structures and shaping the landscape.

Over that period, Taliesin grew from an intimate country refuge to a 600-acre estate encompassing the Taliesin Residence (1911, 1914, 1925-), the Romeo and Juliet Windmill (1896, constructed in 1897), the Hillside Home School (1901, constructed in 1903, substantially remodeled in 1932-33), Tan- y-deri (1907), and Midway Farm (1938, shed additions in 1947). Important adjacent properties include the Unity Chapel (1886) and the former Riverview Terrace Restaurant (1953, constructed in 1957), currently the Frank Lloyd Wright® Visitor Center (1953).

Born in the nearby small town of Richland Center, Wright spent the summers of his youth on a farm adjacent to the fields and hills which would become Taliesin. Throughout his life, this land provided inspiration and reinforced his family heritage and understanding of nature.

His maternal family, the Lloyd Jones, settled the area in 1865 after emigrating from Wales. By the 1870s, with eight family-run farms, the Lloyd Jones were well-established in their valley of the Wisconsin River. "Taliesin" honors these roots and continued the family tradition of giving farms Welsh names. Wright named his home after a poet and bard from Welsh mythology. Translated it means "shining brow." Wright said, "The hill on which Taliesin now stands as 'brow' was one of my favorite places when I was a boy, for pasque flowers grew there in March sun while snow still streaked the hillsides."

In recognition of its significance, Taliesin was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976 and was also nominated to the World Heritage List.

- - -
Subscribers to Design List are required to list their actual names
during the subscription process. Names of known organizations are
accepted at the discretion of the list owner. All other listings of
subscribers are deleted from the list.
- - -
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...
Visit archives: http://lists.psu.edu/archives/design-l.html

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image