[design] beached bunker

This past Tuesday, Otto and I took our first 2005 day trip to Cape May
Point. We saw two cardinals this time, the first I named 'Dougherty' and the
second I named 'O'Hara' which finally got Otto to laugh out loud. It was
much colder along the coast than it was inland, so we weren't going to walk
along the beach after eating our picnic lunch. Beside, there were CAUTION
due to construction signs along the path up the dune.

Actually, I convinced Otto to at least walk up to the top of the dune with
me so we could look at the World War II bunker right at the cape point. Otto
only went half way up, but I continued to the top, and, to my surprise, the
bunker is now sitting on sand again!

I know the beach at Cape May Point was refurbished sometime between 1991 and
2001, but the refurbishment that was conducted this past winter is somewhat
phenomenal. Not only has the beach been restored up to the base of the
bunker, but you can comfortably walk all around the bunker, thus I now know
what the bunker's 'ocean facade' looks like.

I didn't have a camera with me on Tuesday, but you can easily imagine how
much beach has been restored by looking at what the bunker's situation was
for the last decade or so-- http://www.quondam.com/18.1728.htm .