Re: Settle down, Bevis. . .

Michael Harrawood wrote:

"So, now, doesn't the ready-to-hand have to be, by definition, "ready" for
all hands? I wonder whether it makes sense to elevate Heidegger in this
context as an opponent of consensus. There is a debate about whether
authenticity in Heidegger throws Dasein back onto itself or whether it is
impossible without praxis and the polis. But, I don't think Heidegger
would ever argue that what begins in Kant as transcendence can't
"transcend" unless it does so for everybody. It's everybody's hammer --
that's why its the poet who can utter the words that found the state;
that's why it has to be a painting of the peasant's shoes and not the
shoes themselves. Have I got this right?"

Well, first off, though I don't know if this is in Heidegger, I see no
reason whatever why the "ready to hant" must mean "ready for all hands".
I think that is part of the problem of the workshop example: it is good,
as far as it goes. Which may not be very far at all. Also in the workshop
are to be found obscure devices of specific purposes that only a skilled
watchmaker, for example, can put to youse. One must "have the hands to
use such a devise", so to speak. Secondly: what do we make of the
totalization inherent in the *every*? The "every" of everydayness...is
there really any such "every", ever?

How does this relate to "consensus" (a word which makes me shudder)?

The survivors who spoke of the "electricity", the "lights", the
"metal tables" and the "needles" had a shrieking question mark
in their eyes that wasn't answered by what what we were reading
in the growing volume of material that was being published.
--excerpt from The Stone Angels survivors' journal
Vol. 6 Thunder Bay, Ontario

  • Re: Ready to hand
    • From: Fryer Fabish