Re: transcendental subjectivity?

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Robert V. Scheetz wrote:

> Just read "Origin of the Work of Art". I can't get over H's predeliciton
> for etymologies expressive of naive sensibility: truth, happening, techne, etc.
> The notion that you can access the primordial, by affecting the primitive or naive modality
> of thinking seems astoundingly woodenheaded (leaving aside "reactionary").

I think it is demonstrable that in "On the Origin of the Work of
Art" Heidegger is trying to recapture the primordial, pre-metaphysical
experience of art. Everything is expressed very much in the context of
the "first beginning" and so it will inevitably appear naive to those
schooled in the metaphysical subtleties of modern aesthetics.

Martin Weatherston,
Philosophy & Religious Studies Dept.,
East Stroudsburg University,
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301.