cross-words cross-roads

Let us play (not with fire):

Eric Champion recently wrote:

>>From: pennamacoor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael D. Pennamacoor)
>
>> Being needs man; man needs to question beings, needs to quest: thus
>>Being needs
>>man to quest after beings -- but in order to bring Being into the
>>clearing cleared
>>through such quests.
>>
>> Let us think.
>>
>> MP
>Please tell me where the quote "Being needs man" comes from. If it is not
>a quote,
>please explain where you have taken the paraphrasing from. I do not recall
>this at
>all, and would have thought that Heidegger would view such talk as an
>anthropological mis-take on thinking about Being.

Heidegger not so recently wrote:

"It is towards the great essence of man that we are thinking, inasmuch as
man's essence belongs to the essence of Being and is needed by Being to
keep safe the coming to presence of Being into its truth."
(from 'The Turning' in 'The Question Concerning Technology & other essays',
1977, Harper Colophon, p.40)

This not the only place that Heidegger refers to the uncanny and special
relationship between (the essence of) man and Being -- if indeed there is
any 'between' as between things or objects. But I wanted to point to this
persistent, although not always stated in quotable form, theme recurring in
Heidegger's thought.

In the same essay as the above quote, Heidegger goes on to suggest the
primordial priority of language in the thoughtful activity of enabling the
coming to presence of Being, hopefully adding to the recent (list-wise)
interest in the extra-ordinary attention paid by Heidegger to language,
especially in the 'poem'. He says:

"... to lend a hand to the essence, the coming to presence, of Being. This
means: to prepare (build) for the coming to presence of Being that abode in
the midst of whatever is into which Being brings itself and its essence to
utterance in language. Language first gives to every purposeful
deliberation its ways and its byways. Without language, there would be
lacking to every doing every dimension in which it could bestir itself and
be effective. In view of this, language is never primarily the expression
of thinking, feeling, and willing. Language is the primal dimension within
which man's essence is first able to correspond at all to Being, and its
claim, and, in corresponding, to belong to Being. This primal
corresponding, expressly carried out, is thinking."
(ibid, pp 40-41)

Eric Champion goes on to write:

>As to thinking, I do not know where or how Heidegger could view this
>activity as
>something collective. Perhaps you mean "Let each one of us think"? Does it not
>presuppose genuine thinking about Being as individuals aware of individual
>destiny,
>mortality, throwness etc?

No.

Thinking is the exccedingly complex, bewilderingly simple "primal
corresponding" to Being. The business of collective versus individual is a
non-starter. Thinking could be the world-shaking hammer-blows of History
and Destiny or the quietest nurturing of the perfect gardener who seems to
merely watch over things. Thinking is thanking (Being).

Eric (the) Champion has raised many questions that require much time and
attention: I must think.

Thoughtfully in friendship

MP

  • Re: cross-words cross-roads