VITW to Iraq, August 3 [fwd] (fwd)

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 09:46:31 CDT
From: Ed Agro <eagro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list ACTIV-L <ACTIV-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: VITW to Iraq, August 3 [fwd]

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:17:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen Kelly <kkelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: VITW to Iraq- August 3

July 14, 1996

Dear Friends,

The "Voices in the Wilderness" campaign, which continues to
demand an immediate end to the embargo against Iraq, will
send a second delegation to Iraq on August 3, 1996.
Traveling openly and publicly, the delegation will violate
the UN/US imposed sanctions by delivering medical relief
supplies to Iraqi people. They'll also try to inform U.S.
people, as widely as possible, about conditions in Iraq and
the current status of the sanctions.

As national Democratic and Republican conventions draw near,
it seems unlikely that either gathering will address U.S.
responsibility for the ongoing suffering and death of
hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children. Most U.S. people
remain unaware of the tragic affliction that continues,
unabated, in Iraq. What's more, many genuinely concerned
people may mistakenly believe that the UN/US imposed
sanctions have been at least partially lifted.

In fact, as of this letter, the sanctions remain completely
intact. Although the United Nations and Iraq signed a
Memorandum of Understanding on the sale of oil for food,
medicine and material supplies on May 20, 1996, the U.S.
side rejected Iraq's subsequent Distribution Plan. The U.S.
State Department alleged that Iraq proposes to use the
proceeds of its oil sales to import, in addition to food and
medicine, computers and spare parts for army helicopters.

The International Commission of Inquiry on Economic
Sanctions (ICIES) promptly responded to these charges. In a
July 4 statement, ICIES noted that details of the
Distribution Plan were already approved by United Nations
personnel working in full cooperation with Iraqi officials.
The statement clarifies that Iraq's distribution plan only
requests five computers, for use at University and secondary
school levels. As regards the spare parts for helicopters,
the Distribution Plan seeks importation of some spare parts
for helicopters used by the Ministry of Agriculture to
combat agricultural pests.

The ICIES statement concludes that U.N. Security Council
members should "submit to the demand of decent people
throughout the world who wish to see an immediate end to the
murderous blockade being imposed upon Iraq."

ICIES members include former Nicaraguan Foreign Minister,
Fr. Miguel D'Escoto, Former First Lady of Greece Margarita
Papandreau, Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark, and
British Member of Parliament Tony Benn.

enabled us to purchase $6,000 of medicines, including the
acutely needed Pentostam, which the August delegation will
bring to Iraq. We're also encouraged by numerous inquiries
>from people who wish to violate the sanctions by personally
bringing medical relief to Iraq. Along with sincere thanks,
we invite your continued action to help end the economic
warfare against Iraqi people.

Actions You Can Take

1. Obtain and send postcards with pictures of Iraqi
children to the UN and the President with your own message
to end the sanctions. Contact the Muslim Peace Fellowship,
Box 271, Nyack, NY 10960 914-358-4601.

2. Obtain a copy of "The Children Are Dying" - book
$10.00, video, $20.00, add $3.00 shipping, make checks to
International Action Center, 39 West 14 Street #206, New
York, NY 10011

3. Help defray the project's telephone, postage and
organizing expenses. Make checks payable to Voices in the
Wilderness, 1460 West Carmen, Chicago, IL 60640 312-784-
8065

4. Send money to purchase medical supplies to Pledge of
Resistance, c/o 8th Day Center for Justice, 205 West Monroe
Street, Chicago, IL 60606-5033.

5. Speak to your U.S. representative and senator. Ask the
legislator to view the video with you and discuss which
vital U.S. interest justifies the slaughter of innocent
Iraqi children.

6. Invite one of the delegation members to speak to your
community. (Call or write the Voices in the Wilderness
campaign at the address given here).

07/15/96

Voices in the Wilderness
1460 West Carmen Ave., Chicago IL 60640