[mpisgmedia] ladies ngo (hawker policy, mcd)

we found a tidy little racket in vasant kunj last
month. a ladies ngo is taking against proper ngo
receipts sums of 500/- upwards from anyone wanting to
make application to unspecified deputy-commissioner
for space in unspecified tehbazari scheme. like the
tidy racket of ngo issuing house-numbers in slums at
10/- a piece, this one is doing brisk business in
bhagidaari-times, more so as bonhomie between mcd and
ladies ngo in hawking schemes is well known and all
routes by-passing ngo intermediaries hit dead-ends.

the survey that vk hawkers did for the report they
commissioned me to prepare in 2001 had found between
300-400 hawkers, consistent with master plan norms
based on demand estimates. they reckon the total
number is about the same. quite a few have not taken
what they call the-lottery-ticket-for-500/- from the
ladies ngo that has, nevertheless, issued about a
thousand receipts.

these chaps I hang out with are too chivalrous to
bother ladies ngo and we, in any case and now also as
per desire of court, prefer to bug big-fish. ajit
singh ji (mpisg convenor for villages) got proof that
sun-city-mall is being constructed without building
permit on our community centre site meant for also
over 100 hawkers and about 500 small shops. he lodged
fresh complaints, inspiring badri (mpisg convenor for
commerce) to synergise since the site has been very
central to efforts of vk hawkers since 2000.

we got around the chivalry issue by making
complaint-like request for information for mcd policy
guidelines for ladies ngo hawking, for mcd vending
committee system pursuant to public notice of may 2005
(on which mpisg had also put in eoi) and for mcd
decision after dedicated hearing by mcd commissioner
for hawking related responses to mpd2021 public notice
as per decision of board at hearing on 16 jan (after
poonam and yasin and tyagi proposed that) --
mentioning the vk ladies ngo only in justification of
invoking 48-hr proviso since the information sought is
needed to establish whether or not we have on hand a
case of cheating.

yesterday badri went to deposit this with PIO for
policy issues re tehbazari, etc (who had issued public
notice of may 2005) and was told this is vk matter and
must be deposited in zonal office. badri explained how
mcd policy for ladies ngo, mcd vending committee
system for delhi and master plan public hearing by mcd
commissioner are policy matters and information about
them is needed to establish status of local matters
since line between bhagidaari and cheating is fuzzy.
the excellent logic cut no ice and badri called and
gave me a number to call and explain in English / like
ladies.

I called and was promptly identified as chap that had
challenged public notice of may 2005. I clarified I
had not challenged, mpisg had sought through me
clarifications before applying. He said the job of
public notice issuer is to issue public notice and not
to provide clarifications and that all applications
had been forwarded to zonal offices for making
committees and there are no centralised guidelines and
that master plan is made by DDA and mcd is writing to
DDA that no centralised meeting is needed as they have
made zonal vending committees and DDA has to
incorporate mcd policy in the plan. he also said list
of vending committees has been submitted in supreme
court and manushi matter is also there, etc. so there
is no policy issue in the request of badri and he
should go to zonal office for the vk matter.

I asked if he would write all that on the request so
the zonal office would not duck it as policy issue. he
said he had an urgent affidavit to write. I asked if
we could say he has refused the request. he said not
at all, since it was now past the time for receiving
fee. I said ladies ngo might be doing brisk business
on weekend and if not as per mcd policy / system /
decision about which information is sought the brisk
business would amount to brisk cheating. he said that
is zonal office issue. I asked if he could tell, since
the city is infested with ladies ngo hawking, at least
which zonal office is most accessible for seeking
policy information, say, which zonal office had madhu
kishwar approached mcd through. he said either zonal
office or commissioner and that he had urgent
affidavit to write.

come to think of it, mcd has already split. and behind
every broken-local-authority (debris of dismantling
under garb of decentralisation) are molls -- and
besides the molls moll/mall/maal-making men.

---
btw, someone told me that in most moll ministry of
Tourism they feign ignorance of RTI and offer to
receive and reply for free any request for info and if
you insist on paying they recall they do have PIO who
asks, after you explain your request is not for glossy
touristy info, for demand draft for the 10/-. it
occurs to me that ladies ngo hawking could see tourism
minister ambika soni -- who donated her mplads quota
for ladies ngo hawking pilot -- about ladies ngo rti
management in partnership with ICICI and other hawking
partners of ladies ngo hawking.