[mpisgmedia] In Haiti, UN troops kill the poor, leave right-wing death squads untouched

mpisg celebrated its decision to
wind up (post of 8 Jan) on occasion of notification of the mistress plan 2021 a
month later (we notice mistress2021 is selling at red lights). about decision
to gear up for reformed ordinary-citizenship (disclosure & participation
laws), we report 2-in-1 effort: for dissemination of election law rule 49-O
procedure (for electors deciding not to vote) as mater of RTI u/s.4(1)(c).
details are on rti & uttranchal blogs. In last mcd election mpisg had
fielded proxy candidate for a vote-for-yourself option in support of mpd-2001.
this time we propose to register via 49-O our protest against mistress2021 and
the defiant progress that it marks in capital ANOMIE.

[the original meaning of anomie defined anything or
anyone against or outside the law, or a condition where the current laws were
not applied resulting in a state of illegitimacy or lawlessness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomie,
http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/Anomie,
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Anomie,
etc). According to the 2003 CIA World factbook, there is one nation in the
world today, namely Somalia, in a state of anarchy, in that civil government
has collapsed and rule in parts of the country is by mob and warlords, who
often clash with bloody results. There are a few others (Afghanistan, Albania,
Burundi, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Rwanda) in which government is described as
"emerging" or "transitional", and which were in anomie in
the near past. The Solomon Islands is described as tending towards
anomie because "violence, corruption and crime have undermined stability
and civil society" (http://www.starrepublic.org/encyclopedia/wikipedia/a/an/anarchy_1.html,
http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/Anarchy,
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Anarchy,
http://all-science-fair-projects.com/science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/Anarchy,
etc)]

===In cont / explanation of
urban-war post of 8 Jan===

In Haiti, UN troops kill the poor,
leave right-wing death squads untouched

by Ben Terrall

Thursday Feb 15th, 2007 5:51 PM

Feb. 7, 2007 - Pambazuka News

As Kofi Annan moves on to life after the UN, it?s important
to look at the less-discussed ?regime change? which the Bush administration
engineered with Annan?s help. The outgoing secretary-general?s supporters argue
he did what he could to register disapproval of the Iraq invasion, but in the
case of Haiti, he actually helped facilitate a bloodthirsty imperial agenda.

MINUSTAH, the UN mission to Haiti, was put in place to support the illegal
post-coup regime which ousted the democratically elected government of
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in February 2004. Countries participating in
the UN?s Haiti mission, whose mandate is currently up for renewal, curried
favour with Washington, thereby repairing Iraq war-related rifts with the Bush
administration. Brazil?s participation was seen by many observers as part of
its bid to gain a seat on the UN Security Council.

Brian Concannon, director of the Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti
and a former UN human rights observer in Haiti, points out that ?until 2004,
the UN, for good reasons, only deployed peacekeepers where there was a peace
agreement to enforce. Only in Haiti has the Security Council deployed blue
helmets to enforce a coup d?etat against an elected government. With the MIF
[Multinational Interim Force] and then MINUSTAH, the UN abandoned a
half-century of principles and common sense, with predictable results.? Since
replacing the US marines in July 2004, the UN troops have supported the Haitian
police in crackdowns on the urban-poor supporters of Aristide and his Lavalas
party.

Brian Concannon notes, ?In contrast to its decisive action in Cite Soleil,
MINUSTAH has been tolerant of right-wing paramilitary groups. For months after
its deployment, MINUSTAH declined to dislodge the paramilitary groups that
helped to overthrow the government from police stations...

Since February 2004, thousands of non-violent activists and other civilians
have been killed, arrested, tortured and exiled by the post-coup regime, which
the UN mission in effect was set up to support. This essential fact rarely
appears in media analysis of Haiti, so few in the US understand why some have
taken up arms to defend their neighbourhoods...

I witnessed a 24 August UN operation in Simon Pele (a community bordering the
sprawling seaside shantytown Cite Soleil) which was stunning in its disregard
of the dangers of using heavy calibre weapons in a densely populated area. Such
operations had been carried out in Simon Pele throughout August in a UN
campaign to ?secure? the area...

?

But just allowing Haitian police to kill civilians was not enough for prominent
rightwing figures in Port-au-Prince. In meetings with UN officials, the
elite-owned media and veteran anti-Aristide figures pushed a steady drumbeat of
demonisation of poor neighbourhoods that one Haitian activist told me reminded
him of propaganda disseminated before the 1994 Rwanda genocide. In January 2006
Reginald Boulos, president of the Haitian Chamber of Commerce and a key
supporter of the 2004 coup, told Radio Metropole, ?You cannot make an omelette
without breaking eggs. We think that MINUSTAH?s generals need to make plans to
limit collateral damage. But we in the private sector are ready to create a
social assistance fund to help all those who would be innocent victims of a
necessary and courageous action that should be carried out in Cite Soleil. ?

?

Brian Concannon told me that in recent conversations, he has heard ?over and
over from poor Haitians that they wanted disarmament in their neighbourhoods,
but in tandem with disarmament in the wealthy neighbourhoods that are the main
source of guns that get to the slums, and the disarmament of death squads and
former soldiers who kill Lavalas supporters with impunity.?...

On 19 October 2006 Brazilian troops levelled dwellings in Cite Soleil to widen
a road, and as angry residents demonstrated to stop the project, soldiers
opened fire and killed at least three people. Two months later, the San
Francisco Bay Area-based Haiti Action Committee, which keeps close daily
contact with activists and human rights observers in Port-au-Prince, stated,
?In the early morning of Friday 22 December, starting at approximately 3 a.m.,
400 Brazilian-led UN occupation troops in armoured vehicles carried out a
massive assault on the people of Cite Soleil, laying siege yet again to the
impoverished community.?...

The 22 December operation was partly in response to a sustained campaign of
rightwing pressure which blamed alleged gang leaders in Cite Soleil for
kidnappings in Haiti. But Lovinsky Pierre-Antoine, coordinator of the September
30 Foundation, an organisation which supports victims of the first and second
coups against Aristide, told me that the most widely covered kidnapping in the
two weeks before the 22 December attack, that of anti-Lavalas Senator Andre
Riche, was ?political theatre?...

?

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/02/15/18363739.php

http://www.haitisolidarity.net/article.php?id=154