Request for SPA enquiry report

Shabnam Patel (B.Arch SPA 1985) Lecturer AU Visakhapatnam

Shabnam Patel (B.Arch SPA 1985)

Lecturer

Department of Architecture

Andhra University

Visakhapatnam

4/1/2004

To,

The Director

School of Planning and Architecture

New Delhi

Dear Sir,

Sub: Request for access to SPA inquiry report

As an alumnus of SPA and also an educator (Lecturer, Department of Architecture, Andhra University) I was alarmed at seeing a report in the news paper regarding the irregularities in SPA. The fact that there were certain things not quite right in the SPA did not come as a surprise but the suddenness with which this news was published reflected the irresponsibility of the administration towards the people who have been and are a part of this institution i.e. the students and the alumni and the teachers who continue to serve this institution in spite of all odds.

It would have been better if the report was published after having exposed the contents of the report to the teachers, professionals and students and getting their views and suggestions on the issue. This lack of transparency in the entire system of administration of all educational institutions is really the source of the most of the ills plaguing them.

SPA being a premier institution in the field of architecture and planning needs to lead by example. We as educationists look towards SPA to give us direction. This public report lacks clear information and is open to misinterpretation. I would be interested in the copy of the full report to be able to fully understand the issues being discussed.

As one of the countries premier professional institution SPA needs to ensure that these inquiries reach their logical conclusion and the problem gets rooted out. I see this as being possible only if we discuss this within our fraternity instead of going public in haste. It is within our fraternity that we shall be able to clearly assess the problem and find the solutions.

Thanking You,

Sincerely,

Shabnam Patel