Re: let's count to two/"through a glass, darkly"

Hi dan, it IS difficult to deal with such 'sacred'
words as 'natural'. On one hand we could say
'everything is natural'; on the other, we could just
as well say 'nothing is natural' (except maybe 'the
void', whatever that might be - or not-be..) Maybe the
'natural' state is to remain silent / alone, so that
communication is the 'original' unnatural act?

BUT, I think 'natural' was also being played off
against another sense of the word, ie, 'normal' (which
has similar problems) as when Cubitt says "we have
defined the natural by the negative" -- after his
scary wilderness experience. Or, as he suggests:

"Perhaps, like primaeval Deleuzes and Guattaris, the
nomadic hunter-gatherers looked at the first sedentary
farmers with just such an apocalyptic intuition of the
end of true humanity as Virilio derives from the
intensifying relationships we establish with each
other through the increasingly demanding mediations of
our machines".

(I'm reminded of a scene in the TV Western _Lonesome
Dove_ where the nomadic bandits think nothing of
hanging, and burning, some 'filthy farmers'..) Is it
possible that someone could read _ATP_ and come away
with the idea that there's something 'unnatural' about
an "apparatus of capture"?! (or that "machinic
enslavement" is an 'unnatural' condition ;)

But, Cubitt seems to be taking the tact that 'nothing
is natural' -- I guess because 'the natural' has so
much of this sense of sacredness about it that he
wants to get away from (away from 'the return of the
same' toward 'the repetition of difference'?) This
enables him to say that "despite Virilio's fears, the
present is not the already achieved and completed
moment ... Considered not as given but as raw
material, the present becomes the workshop in which
the future is produced ... To idealise the immediate
excludes the possibility of the instability and
failure of dominance to dominate".
- mark

http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200007/msg00012.html