Re: RE: Re: RE: Contact Improv

Of course talking/writing about embodiment is no easy thing, its more to do
with living than talking/writing perhaps thats why we fly of into such
abstract flights so easily... its so easy to avoid the forces that really
ennervate us. For me for example most of my best moments and thoughts come
while meditating, eating Chinese food or dancing to Drum and Bass or african
music (never, never in the library!). Something to with the body being
allowed its own launguage....

On contact/improvisation; I've been transcribing a video by the improvising
dancer Julyen Hamilton for about six months - speaking as he dances, I think
there's some deeply and very literally embodied ideas there - maybe I should
try to get that finished a post some excerpts on the list? It'll be a few
weeks and by that time the discussion will have moved on but I'll try to do
anyway. Also I can post my little essay on his work (orginally posted to
this list in two parts on 31/10/97 and 2/11/97) to anyone who is interested.

On existing work on D&G/buddhism I think there is a really important link
here yet to be fully explored - is it not the case that eastern
philosophy/religion/thought fulfills the position D&G give to thought much
better than the western tradition? As I've said here before it surprises me
in a way that Delueze didn't look at it more thoroughly... Presently though
I can only pass on these two rather extraordinary and wonderful texts
suggested to me by nice people on this list a few months ago;

Working Emptiness: Toward a third reading of Emptiness in Buddhism and
postmodern thought by Newman Robert Glass
(American Acedemy of Religion)

and

Meditation Differently by Herbert Guenther (Motilal Banarsididess, Delhi)
isbn 81-208-0870-3

both of these take D&G related concepts out of Western philosophical
discourse and suggest ways in which they might make bridges with Eastern
philosophical/religious discourse - questions of ethics taking a much higher
priority than they do. Both are heavily conceptual and the buddhist stuff in
particular can be really challenging to a newcomer. Guenther's work on
Dzogchen concepts of being is particularly staggering

Anybody with anything to say about these beautiful texts? It seems to me
they should be taken very seriously, but for myself I feel barely equiped to
deal with them....

Richard