Re: Time: deconstruction

Deleuze and Guattari do not attack Derrida. In ANTI-OEDIPUS, they briefly
discuss the theory of writing and take issue with Derrida on whether or
not a language produces as much psychic prepression as a writing system.
Derrida says it does, D&G say it does not. (See AO pp. 202-204)

In DIFFERENCE & REPETITION i don't think Deleuze levels any criticisms
against Derrida. Deleuze praises Derrida's reading of Plato in a note
in THE LOGIC OF SENSE. I'm not suggesting we throw Derrida away, or that
we simply place him under D&G. I'm pointing out that they are very, very
different thinkers. As i wrote in an erlier post, they often get talked
about together as poststructuralists (which describes Derrida more than
d&g) and everyone thinks their basic theoretical premises are simmilar.

To answer another question, i do think that Derrida's notion of negation
is very close to Saussurian and Hegelian neation. in his essay "Differance"
Derrida credits Hegel and Saussure with being two of the major thinkers
of his concept of difference. He also quotes Deleuze on Nietzsche and
the play of differences of force. However, Derrida does not make it
clear that Deleuze and Nietzsche are talking about positive difference
(what Deleuze calls intensity and Nietzsche the inner will of will topower)
and i think most probably read this as negative difference in extension,
which would make Nietzsche appear as a Hegelian.

I have no doubt that Derrida's concepts could be applied to Deleuze's
ontology of force and energy. You could think of differance as a type
of vortex, a fold. But Derrida just does not do this. I think he, and most
of his followers, would object to this. And even if you do apply it, it
does not have the philosophic depth that Deleuze has spent 40 years building.

Well Nathan, i keep getting messages from you in the middle of this post.
I'll go ahead and send it and post on how Deleuze discusses the negative
as positive in a little while.

chris d