Re: BWO

Helen Miller asks:
>At the risk of sounding stupid could someone explain to me what D&G mean
when they discuss 'becoming woman' ?

Well, it 'aint a stupid question. Lots of people have tried to address this
problem, and yet it still perplexes quite a few of us.

Liz Grosz gives a cautious feminist reading of "becoming woman" in a few
places. I think the most developed version appears as a chapter in the
critical reader edited by Boundas and Olkowski, _Gilles Deleuze and the
Theatre of Philosophy_, and also as a chapter in Grosz's book, _Volatile
Bodies_. Her reading is more thoughtful than most feminist critiques,
but her caution still tends to foreclose on the fullness of the concept.

The notion of "becoming woman" has its genealogy in Guattari rather than
Deleuze, so if you wanted to go back to the origin of the concept you could
look up Guattari's article/interview "Devenir femme". There are edited
translations of this in the Semiotexte edition on Polysexuality and the
collection of Guattari's writings titled, _Molecular Revolution_.
(translated as "Becoming-Woman" and "Becoming a woman", respectively).

But.....it's a big question.

Stephen O'Connell.