Re: Refrain/Assault

Actually, I don't think that Tsia's art gallery remark was so dubious at all.
I don't want to get back to Chris's position that there's no such thing as
"art," but I do think it's important to take into consideration the position of
art more "sociologically" -- as in, for example, Bourdieu. Why is it that any
discussion of art and the aesthetic dimension on this list always ends up
talking about museum art (Charlie's piece notwithstanding)? While there seems
to be an interest in talking about the politics of this supposedly nomadic high
culture, nobody has addressed the issue of museum art being precisely part of
the state (in the sense that D. talks about state-philosophy). The fact that
this work is "confronted as art" is usually experienced as the dimension that
territorializes most (one must walk slowly, whisper, and not offend the
on-looking security guards, after all, because one is in a museum looking at
art!).

The issue has been addressed as to whether or not D&G have effectively gotten
away from avant-guardism, but have they gotten away from elitism?

Tom Schumacher