Re: Penthesilea

> a small bibliographical question to anyone: Deleuze and Guattari refer
> several times to Penthesilea and her becoming-dog. While Penthesilea has been
> located, reference to something that could be construed as a dog-becoming has
> not. Does anyone have any sources for this?

Well, Graves (I don't know if you'd call Graves a "source") has the
following possible hints: In 131.1, he talks about the wedding of
Heracles and Admete, which he claims would have been preceded by a
battle analogous to the one which Thetis fought with Peleus and
Penthesilea with Achilles. During this battle, he says, the woman would
undergo a series of transformations -- he doesn't mention a dog,
but does mention a serpent, a crab, a doe, a wild mare, a cloud.
In 164.1, he says that according to Dictis the Cretan, when P lay dying
on the ground, killed by Achilles, the Greek soldiers shouted: "Toss this
witch to the dogs to be devoured; she has offended womanly nature."

- malgosia