GENERAL: CIA Factbook for Free.

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.cd-rom
From: HART@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ("Michael S. Hart")
Subject: CIA World Factbook for Free
Sender: CD-ROM <CDROM-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1992 18:07:55 GMT

I have been reluctant to post a note to this entire listserver but. . .
the following should get some of you a free copy of the CIA Factbook.
This reply up to date as of July 1, 1992
This message contains information for BOTH email and FTP users.
******* REPLY *******
I would suggest the following:

One. . .please send a small donation to:

Project Gutenberg
Illinois Benedictine College
5700 College Road
Lisle, IL 60532-0900

This is also the address to subscribe to the paper newsletter.

Please realize this is NOT for mail to me personally, as paper mail to me
at that address takes a long time to get to me, and I prefer email a very
great deal. . .so much so, that paper mail gets done every few months!

********NOTE. . .different machines are and are not case sensitive*******
mrcnext is a unix machine and IS case sensitive, type commands exactly!!!

[if these suggestions do not work well for you, please ask again]
[Try Bulletin Board System, The Bitter Butter Better BBS, (503)-620-0307]
[if you are not an internet site, you will either have to find one to use
or find an FTP emulator program to use at your site or I will will have a
packet of information sent to you directly as email. (I leave this choice
for last because all email is backed up to my disk, so sending out copies
to many people creates many backups, but don't hesitate to ask and remind
us that you need email sent rather than instructions for FTP)]

Here are a couple suggestions for non-FTP users, followed by FTP.

------
The Almanac information server, located at the Extension Service
at Oregon State University, allows text retreival both through ftp
and e-mail. To retrieve a file via ftp:

ftp oes.orst.edu (128.193.124.2)
Log in as `anonymous' and your login name as a password.
cd /pub/almanac/guten
ls (to get a list of files)
bin (to switch to binary mode)
get filename (where `filename' was one of the files listed)
bye (when done)

To retrieve a file via e-mail, first send the following line by
itself to almanac@xxxxxxxxxxxx

send gutenberg catalog

This will instruct you how to send further requests, and will list
the available files. For example, to retrieve _Alice's Adventures
in Wonderland_, send to almanac@xxxxxxxxxxxx

send gutenberg alice

Bitnet users can also try BITFTP. It is a server that will take an E-mail
message from a BITNET site, and send corresponding commands to an FTP
server, then send that file as a mail file to the BITNET user.
If anyone wants to try it, send just the word HELP in the body of
the message to BITFTP@PUCC.

We would also suggest you subscribe to the Project Gutenberg newletter by
sending the following message from the address you wish to receive it at:
sub gutnberg your name
send this to listserv@uiucvmd (bitnet) or to
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(This message needs no subject, "sub gutnberg your name" is the message).

(Please save the message you receive in response to subscribing, and. . .
please unsub and resub if your address or name changes. . .please! do not
have the newsletter forwarded from the address you give, as errors should
come from the address you are actually at.

To FTP directly to the Project Gutenberg archives:

ftp mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu or 128.174.201.12

login: anonymous

password: name@node

cd etext92 or cd etext/etext92 (for current [1992] etexts)
cd etext/etext91 (for 1991 etexts)

For information about Project Gutenberg:
cd etext/articles [Gutenberg articles and newsletters]

dir [to see files]

get or mget [to get files. . .set bin for zip files]
[if you leave set for bin and do ascii files you get c/r l/f]
[Don't forget to set to bin if you then retransfer to home]

GET INDEX or INDEX.GUT
for a list of books
and
GET NEW.GUT for general information
and
MGET GUT* for newsletters.

Please tell us what books you want and how you like these.
| The trend of library policy is clearly toward
| the ideal of making all information available
| without delay to all people.
|
|The Software Toolworks Illustrated Encyclopedia (TM)
|(c) 1990,1991 Grolier Electronic Publishing, Inc.

Thank you for your interest,

Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg
National Clearinghouse for Machine Readable Texts

The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
the views of any person or institution. Neither Prof
Hart nor Project Gutenberg have any official contacts
with the University of Illinois.

Mail will be considered for release in our newsletter
and notes unless otherwise requested.

Email addresses:
BITNET> HART@UIUCVMD INTERNET> HART@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Also as the Usenet group bit.listserv.gutnberg
CompuServe: >INTERNET:hart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Attmail: internet!vmd.cso.uiuc.edu!HART