ARCHITECTURE: Thin Skin Concrete. Dwelling Design Query.

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: MikeWood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mike Wood)
Subject: Alternative house design
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1993 13:50:30 +0000
Sender: usenet@xxxxxxxxxxx

Not entirely sure what this group contains but I'll try the following
as a flyer ...

I'm looking for ways to build a house - a bit ecological - relatively
cheap - not too boring ...

I noticed at Chessington World of Adventure the rocks of the Mystic East
- it's about a 20ft rockface with big statues carved into the face and
a stream coming over the top, etc. - I've always assumed it was solid rock
/ concrete. Of course, on closer inspection it's just a thin skin
of concrete & completely hollow inside apart from some scaffold support.

So, liking the idea of a natural looking house that you can have plants
growing over, the kids can clamber all over, a bit like an underground
house, but without all the excavation & damp-proofing problems, what
would be a good way to build something similar, & what materials ?

Does anybody know of some building system that doesn't require special
skills - I'm thinking of something like cement that could be built up
into walls & roofs, could be decorated by perhaps sandblasting, stained
to blend into it's surroundings, waterproofed, and insulated ( air bubbles
in the concrete mix ?, or just cavity walls ). I'm not sure if you'd need
( big ) foundations. You could make the rooms as square & formal or as
twisted & organic as you liked, subject to it being structurally sound.

I'm excited about the idea, but lack any architectural / structural
knowledge to know how viable it would be. Any feedback / ideas on
this or other structures would be good.

Regards

Mike Wood
| InterNet : MikeWood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |