ART: Mail Art Project?

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 20-MAY-1993
16:08:46.68
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Collaborative Self-Portrait Mail-Art project Proposal

Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 15:59:38 -0400
From: Bandes Dessinee <bdnee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Collaborative Self-Portrait Mail-Art project Proposal
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi! I hope I'm not repeating myself here, but I don't think I've heard from
anyone on this list yet, and judging by the immense discussion of mailart here
I take that to mean you folks haven't heard my pitch yet, so here goes :)
I propose a mail art project, which will include aspects of electronic
correspondance, art criticism, collaborative artmaking, and all sortsa other
fun things. So let me explain.
The project is a collaborative self-portrait chain. Each participant will
be a link on the chain, it will work like this.
Link 3 will send a written description of herself to Link 4, who will send
a description of himself to Link 5, and so on. In turn, Link {_4 will interpret
the description he has of Link 3, and make a portrait of her using that
information, and of course his imagination as well. This portrait will be
color copied (for documentation purposes) and then the original will be mailed
(snailmail) to Link 3, who will keep it (Link 4 does NOT get it back). Link 3
will then write a response/critique/reaction to the portrait, how she has been
portrayed, how Link 4 interpretted her description, and so forth. This reaction
will be mailed to Link 4. Every link on the chain will take both roles, of
portrait-maker and portrait-subject. Once everyone has completed all three
steps, they will send me the color copy of the portrait they MADE (so Link 4
would send me the copy of his portrait of Link 3) as well as a copy of the
description and reaction from their subject. I will then compile the
documentation for the project, which will take the form of a zine collecting
the descriptions, reactions, and portraits for each person. I will use the
color copies as a matrix from which to make black and white xeroxes. I will
include one color copy in each documentation package, so everyone will get at
least one excellent quality reproduction in their docs. I am aiming for
about 25-35 particpants, and I will cap it at 50. At the moment, I have 15
participants, and I would like to recruit at least 10 more before the project
begins. If there is an incredible amoount of interest, I will remove the
cap, but ask that everyone contribute a small amount of money to cover
making the docs, since I'm well on^r my way to impovrishment. I don't
expect that this will need to happen.
Projected timeframe is this - Project begins June 7, Portraits are completed by
July 1, responses are distributed by July 15, documentation is completed by
August 15. This is all estimates, and may be seriously optimistic, but I think
it's feasible.
The foremost goal of this project is to foster a greater communication betwee
artists who would not otherwise have known each other or seen the work of
other participants. As such, there are no restrictions on media, except that
the final portrait must be reproducible on a copy machine, must be able to
travel through the mail (at your expense, so think twice befor making something
HUGE), and remains the property of the person you send it to (so don't get too
attached to anything.
If you've got any questions, I'll be thrilled to answer them :)
Bandes Dessinee - C-Art founder