From: Lester J Manzano <lm37+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Top rated schools for Arch. and Civil Engineering?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 12:05:24 -0400

Edward,
I'm a student at Carnegie Mellon University, so naturally I have a
bias toward the architecture program here. I can't say much about civil
engineering programs in the nation or at CMU since I haven't heard of
any civil engineering program here. But I can tell you a little about
architecture programs. If you get a copy of any ranking of architecture
schools, you'll find that University of California at Berkeley,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon, and Princeton
rank among the top four in that order-- Carnegie Mellon being third.
But it is important to know about the nature of the program and the type
of degree offered. UC Berkeley, MIT and Princeton offer a B.S. or a
B.A. in architecture. This may consist of a broad liberal arts-based
education after which you CANNOT obtain your license to practice
architecture. After obtaining a B.S. or a B.A. you must continue with a
Masters of Architecture (M.Arch.) and obtain this professional degree
before licensing.
Meanwhile, such schools as Carnegie Mellon and the University of
Southern California offer what is called a Bachelor of Architecture
(B.Arch.). This is usually a five-year program into which a
professional education is incorporated. After obtaining a B.Arch, you
may obtain your license (after a period of intership as in all cases).
This B.Arch. is the first professional degree, and you need not obtain a
M.Arch. So instead of obtaining a four-year B.S. or B.A. plus a
three-year M.Arch., your sister can obtain a five-year B.Arch., then
obtain a license to practice.
I hope this has helped you, and I wish you sister good luck.