GENERAL: Design Renaissance Conference.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Industrial Design Forum" 8-OCT-1993
08:47:50.31
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Ref: Design Renaissance Congress

Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 13:37:51 BST
From: John Struthers <johns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Ref: Design Renaissance Congress
Sender: Industrial Design Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> From: D.Durling@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Comments on "Design Renaissance" Congress, Glasgow Sept.93

David Durling writes -

> Sadly, I might hazard a guess that so few designers are on either the
> internet or on any of the design lists (or indeed are members of one
> of the host design associations) that this discussion might not get
> off the ground. If this is the case, John Struthers, perhaps you
> could let us know your thoughts......?

My thoughts -

I must say that in general I enjoyed attending the Congress.
It was my first 'Design' conference, although I have attended
other technical conferences.

However, I feel in rertospect that the overall organization of the
sessions was poor. There appeared to have been no review of the
presentations prior to the Congress, this resluted in sessions of widely
varying quality and worth. It was sometimes difficult to detect any common
theme running through the Congress. I also think that tagging the
education conference onto the end of the event was an error,
education issues should have been integral to the main Congress.
(Several of the discussions highlighted the need to educate economists,
politicians, and industrialists, in the role of design for improving
the quality of life.)

I was suprised that Congress proceedings were not prepared and available
for delegates. On inquiry, the Chartered Society of Designers (CSD)
mentioned that selected proceedings would be published in 'paperback'
form early next year.

Some other notes -

* I also feel that the Congress fees were set way too high, especially
for student delegates.

* Personally, the highlights were the presentations by the following
speakers -
o Erskine Childers (The United Nations) Local and Global Dilemmas Session
o Stefano Marzano (Philips Design Centre) " " " " "
o Ezio Manzini (Domus Academy) Environment and Design Session
o Derrik de Kerckhove (University of Toronto) 'Interactivity - the 4th
Dimension' Session
o James Woudhuysen (Henley Centre for Forecasting) Products and Lifestyles
of the Future Session.

* Congress delegates noted with some anger the the fleeting and
transient attendance of the British Government's Under Secretary with
responsibility for Design. ( This was taken as an indication of the
UK Government's 'real' interest in design. 8-( )

* The content of the associated exhibitions in the Main Congress Hall
was disappointing.

* It would have helped the design profession's concerns if the Congress
audience had mainly consisted of politicians and industrialists.

* Trivial humour .... Terence Conran (Ex-Habitat, Conran Shops) noting the
rather unstable construction of the specially designed speakers table on
the Congress stage! Mr Conran comments - "Is this an example of future
design ?? "

On the whole an interesting event but more thought should have been put
into it's form and content. It will be interesting to see what impact the
event has on the future of design in the next decade ....

John Struthers

p.s. Sorry for the delay in replying, I've just returned from holiday.
Name: John Struthers FRSA MCSD Product Designer
Email: johns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address: South Queensferry, West Lothian, EH30 9TG, Scotland, UK
Opinions expressed are my own, and are not intended to be an official
statement by Hewlett-Packard Company