Re: ARCHITECTURE: SEMANTICS?

Hugh? Family Room - Den. Curious. You propose that it is derived from
an English style. There is also a continental version, both north and
south - the cellar. Frequently, where the wine is kept and sausage is
hung to dry. But, often this room has a large table where people
gather for informal festivities. Sounds a lot like a den or family room.
It is a curious element of a house. I have also heard people refer
to such rooms as "multi-purpose rooms" which I believe is ultra-strange,
but them these people usually refer to their homes as "units".

Ray Lauzzana
Editor-in-Chief, Languages of Design
1167 Pacific
San Francisco