ARCHITECTURE: New Libraries: Computer Communications Facilities.

From: IN%"PMW1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" 21-JAN-1994
15:12:48.55
To: IN%"hrl@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj: New Libraries: integrating computer/communications facilities

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 94 15:11 EST
From: "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <PMW1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Libraries: integrating computer/communications facilities
To: hrl@xxxxxxxxxxxx

FYInterest

- - The original note follows - -

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 18:01:33 +0000
Sender: "Educational Uses of Information Technology (EUIT) News and
Discussion" <[email protected]>
From: Dr P Goodyear <era021@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list EUITLIST <[email protected]>

My institution is about to write an architect's brief for a new Library
building in which we will be trying to integrate, as far as possible,
(a) traditional library functions
(b) new (networked) computer-based information systems (for staff and student
research purposes)
(c) networked computer-based learning workstations.

In producing this brief, we want to strike a reasonable balance between
centralised and distributed resources (for research and learning).

At this point, it would be *very* useful to hear of Universities and
similar institutions which people consider to be good models for us to
look at. They are likely to have put up a similar kind of building, with
similar goals, in the last 5 years and to have made a conspicuous success of it.

Do you know of any such institutions? If so, please send me details, and
(ideally) a person to contact. Failing that, just nominate an
institution, and if I'll follow up those with the strongest
recommendations.

If someone could post this to a list for academic librarians (in N
America), I'd be *very* grateful.

Thanks.

PG
--

Dr Peter Goodyear
Director, Centre for Studies in Advanced Learning Technology (C SALT)

Tel: +44 (0524) 592685 (C SALT Office, Direct Number)
Fax: +44 (0524) 844788
Telex: 65111 Lancul G