Re: Career as an Architect

- - The original note follows - -

From: john@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Career as an Architect
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 21:21:35 GMT

In article <16F50F34B.UCPL072@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> UCPL072@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>I am an architecture student at the university of Nebraska Lincoln
>and the best advise that I could give your son, is to decide if he wants
>to design houses or if he wants to design more extravigant buildings.

How about extravagant houses??

>If he only wants to design houses and such the best major to go into is
>construction management, they deal more with houses and other small
>structures. However, if your son desides on a career in architecture he is
>going into a field of art, and not the mechanics of drafting. Drafting is
>mearly a tool, and not a basis for design. Design is art in every respect
>and he must know this in order to be sucessful.

Hmmm..."every respect"??..I'll try to remember this "art" idea next
time I'm dealing with the UBC, Title 24, ADA, Department of City
Planning, etc...

...the 500 sheet construction document set I was recently
involved with was possibly art, though one would have a tough
time selling it as such.

>As far as schooling goes, your son could get a job with only associates
>degree, unfortunatly, that job would be doing nothing more than drawing
>someone elses design, and not his own. Plus, if he is lucky, he might get
>paid about nine bucks an hour. In order to desing, and build. He'll need
>every bit of a Masters degree. Trust me, I know. I have three more years
>until I get my Masters of Architecture.

Then perhaps you should shut-up until you receive your degree
and work a little while. There are unlicensed people working
in our firm for a few times "nine bucks an hour". There are
many, many designers in this world who are unlicensed, well
paid, and designing very large, important projects (eg. -
500,000 sq. ft. hospitals, 1,000,000 sq. ft. design centers
in Japan, university buildings, exciting/innovative houses, etc.).

One can do quite a bit in this profession without being
licensed - it really is a fuzzy situation once you are out
here in it. Also, I'll once again mention that in California,
you don't need a Master's Degree in order to be licensed.

"Trust me, I know"??? NOT!!! -more like: "You *could*
trust me, but you might want to give me a chance to get a clue, first."

--
Deathrace 2000 DoD#1179