Architects, Engineers and Design

I can't stand it anymore. F. Grant's rantings about the superiority of
engineering a completely out of hand, and I cannot remain silent.

For a moment consider the wonderous engineering accomplishments of
American engineering in automobile design, electronic equipment design
and home appliances. Throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s, they have been
abissmal failures. The consumers have voted with their pocetbooks
and declared them to be junk ready for the scrap heap.

Why? Not because of structural failures. They didn't collapse. Not
because of mechanical failures. GE radios work forever. Some times,
you wish they would stop working so that you could get a new one.
It wasm't chemical failure or hydraulic failure or any of the
engineering domains that failed. It was design failure!!!!!

During these past 3 decades , engineering has dominated design. In
many cases design was reduced to wrapping electronic equipment with
wood-grained vinyl. A totally absurd use of materials.

The Japanese began teaching American engineers about design during
this period. I hope they are listening! What we need is more design
and architecture, not less. Designers are the people who respect,
understand, appreciate and are sensitive to the human condition.
Engineers better start listening to architects if they ever want to
produce things that people will "desire".

- Ray Lauzzana