Re: WAS: Dumping on Haha, Now: Architect's Real Work

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, Stephen Perrella wrote:

> as a cynical exchange (am I the naive one?); your cynical remark,
> regarding making people feel comfortable at whatever they do, when one
> reads past the sarcasm, i am left wondering to what extent you feel

I hate to really let the cat out of the bag but I was not in the least
being cynical or sarcastic. I really fo indeed believe that 'making people
feel comfortable at whatever they do'in a building is indeed precisely at
the heart of the architect's work. And such an effort needs no excuse. To
design buildings that make people comfortable is a noble endeavor.

I do not refuse 'to consider architecture as a methodology to question
culture;' I just don't even think in such abstract terms. If an architect or
his/her client wishes to build a building to 'question culture' they are
free to spend their money any way they like

...that reminds me of the
Antonioni movie that was very effective at getting across the boredom and
vapidity of life in some social set by itself being an absolutely and
terrifying boring movie

...anyway, they are free to spend their bucks any way they want but to
characterize the purpose of architecure as a 'methodology to question
culture' is something I prefer not to do.

David Sucher