Re: WAS: Dumping on Haha, Now: Architect's Real Work

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, david reddy wrote:

> Stephen Perrella wrote:
> "Zaha's work attempts to vitalize a sense of immobility in stasis
> architecture.
>
> David Sucher then replied:
> "(I) thought that it was the architect's job to design a building that kept
> out the elements and made people feel comfortable at whatever they are
> doing in that building.">
>
> I don't understand how aesthetic investigations and human comfort can be
> considered mutually exclusive. Isn't it possible to build beautiful
> environnments for people to inhabit?

I'm not sure if you are speaking to me or not. But I certainly include
visual excitation under the rubric of 'comfort.' I just don't include a
certain kind of verbal intellectualizing as necessary or comfortable
or---most importantly---very often well-done.

David Sucher