Apple unwraps 3-D modelling standard

Apple has just last week unwrapped Quickdraw 3-D, a software standard for
3-D modelling. This is probably going to make a big difference to design
and presentation software; for the first time there will be a 3-D modelling
standard which can represent complex curves, textures, and light sources.
Ideally, this will make it possible to cut & paste 3-D models almost as
easily as we now cut & paste drawings. Hey, we'll even be able to exchange
them via e-mail! There will also be a Windows version.

The list of developers who have announced commitment to the technology
include the developers of ArchiCAD, Form-Z, MiniCAD, Ray Dream Designer,
and StrataVision. There are more names in the press release, most of which
I don't recognize.

The Apple press release can be found in:

ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple.Support.Area/Apple.Press.Releases/06Feb95-Qui
ckDraw.3D.Announced.txt

Not sure where to find more technical details; the comp.sys.mac.*
newsgroups would probably be a good place to look.

R.