Re: response to "crappy pay" whiners

Earlier, Stephen wrote:

>What I learned was that he kept on because I managed to give him some
>insight into that uncanny moment when there is no apparent reason to
>continue or to want to do well and there, a space opens up, a very human
>space. One that can only be filled and fulfilled with the desire to be
>more than what one is, to go beyond oneself and to discover something.
>Well anyway, my explanations obviously pale to this very unusual moment in
>my experience in the Newark ghetto. But today, this student, who I didn't
>think would do too well, had really taught me something special about
>architecture.

Some years ago, I taught drafting in a technical school in Pittsburgh. If it
hadn't been for the _truly crappy_ pay ( I mean $1,200/month with a wife and
child to support), I would have probably stayed quite a while. I enjoyed it
so much---so much so that I am considering teaching later in my career. All
the late hours grading drawings, preparing lectures, and calming the
occasional classroom outburst were made worthwhile when a struggling student
would suddenly catch on and take off. Or when, after the term ended, a
student would take me aside and say, "Y'know, you were pretty tough, but I
learned so much. Thank you."

Architecture on a higher plane than building, isn't it? Shaping lives
DIRECTLY rather than mediated through structure.

Mark Darrall, providing better living through Organic Design---one day.
4th Year B. Arch.
Ball State University
Muncie, IN

"Changes aren't permanent