star watch

"Tune in to a national treasure on Wednesday night at 9, when PBS
presents a 90-minute documentary on I. M. Pei., the elder statesman
of American architecture. Best known for large institutional
projects like the East Building of the National Gallery in
Washington and the overhaul of the Louvre, he is also the embodiment
of charm. "First Person Singular: I. M. Pei," produced and directed
by Peter Rosen, an Emmy Award winner, and narrated mainly by Pei
himself, documents the combination of esthetic conviction and
personal charisma that enabled the architect to get these projects
built."

Herbert Muschamp
Copyright 1997 The New York Times

Michael Kaplan