Re: American architecture! - On "rainman" Gehry

-I don't think you can say there is no discussion to be had. Why can't
there
-be discussions about the relationships of form and their ability to
-communicate? Can you not make judgement about proportions, for example?
Does
-it always have to be about rational matter, structure, forces, etc?

-Scott

I 'm not discarding discussion on form.

In my view and experience working on team submission's in competition -
where the "architectural form is not built yet" -
the drawings and model have to communicate intentions and seduce the jury.

We make sure that our discussion do not get lost in
"you like this? or this way? or this way? and that?"
goals are set in regards of the urban intention and a space is defined in
regards to this urban standpoint.... + it has to be sexy. But sexiness of
architecture is very subjective.
That's why our teams are made up of people with same - or almost - same
vocabulary.
The vocabulary is used to "express" a spatial and urban view. In
competitions, you have to make sure that you can be understood... and
seduced.

sure, we can talk of proportion and texture and shape... but appreciation
of form is subjective.
You will never convince some one that something is ugly or beautiful.
discussions will serve to give core to a first impression but not overrun
it.

I'm one of those boring BINARY thinkers. I enjoy demanteling a program and
an context (culture,site) problematic to reveal dualities. Then discuss
what links them or not. Sort of finding
the "a" and the "b" then find the operator between them.

I, and my team, have a vset of "operators" that constitute my architectural
vocabulary. It won't change to please a jury or a client. This vocabulary
is the basis of one's architecture.

This vocabulary can be discussed and slowly evolve with new shapes or
re-shapes.

I'm personnaly more interested in looking at competition results on basis
of context and programmatic critic. If the jury rendered their selection on
a different vocabulary of form expressing a similar solution, it is like
winning.

eh, if they like- and understand ! - Gehrylike work , you won't be able to
make them change their taste...

Note: The good thing is that in a jury - be it in school crits or in
competitions - nor the jury or the
creator can say "i just like this form". They have to explain their view in
a "rational matter".
Maybe it should be more open... but my binaryself enjoys it this way.

Note: i've taken artclasses ... the best place to build a vocabulary.

Jean Beaudoin
Montreal , Quebec, Canada

Related links:
http://frank.org/banana.htm