Re: three-space

At 02:32 PM 1/6/98 +0200, you wrote:
>It seems that our normal perception of time can be compared to a one-
>dimensional space perception, that is to say that our linear
>perception of time (past, present future) is similar to our
>conception of a 1D line (the connection of two points). If this
>analogy can be extended, it may be possible to conceive of time
>firstly as a plane ( extension of the line into 2D ) and then as a
>non-planar surface such as a sphere (3D).

Oops---PG 1 says that a "line" extends infintely in both directions. Between
two points makes it a line _segment_. Sorry! :-) As soon as time becomes
multi-dimensional, I think space gets involved? You may not be able to
completely perceive one without the other.

But I see where you're going...

>Thus, by firstly considering time as a plane rather than as a line, a
>conceptual progression from 4D to 5D may be possible. This would
>predict the simultaneous existence of " possibilities" in time,
>events and possible choices scattered as it were on the plain of
>time. Our actual choices would be the " making things that reside in
>it" as quoted by Mark earlier and which make up our perception of
>connecting events linearly through spacetime.

All those "possibilities" out there are individual lives. The "plane" is
consciousness. And of course, each of the individual lives has many
possibilites of his/her/its own.

>This idea suggests to me that our design choices are often much wider
>than we choose to believe. I find this notion valuable in
>counteracting the tunnel-vision "I have no choice" defence that the
>daily grind of client/ contractor/ statutory demands can lead to, on
>a bad day, and as a way of reconciling all those unbuilt projects
>that lie around my office. Perhaps they all exist anyway :)

Oh, yeah, you bet!

>I'm still working with the 6D conceptualization, but don't hold your
>breath. I think that is where multiple universes may kick in.

I think so.

Has anyone read any of Claude Bragdon's books? He was an old mail-buddy of
Louis Sullivan's and a New York architect of the same era (a little later,
actually). Bragdon was deeply tapped into multi-dimensionality and eastern
views (actually he thought them as being transcendent of all cultures)
toward space/time/consiousness. Try to track these down:

_Four-Dimensional Vistas._ New York: Knopf, 1923.

_A Primer of Higher Space: The Fourth Dimension._ Tucson: Omen Press, 1972.
(A reprint, of course).

In my thesis research, I found an incredible formal resemblance between Some
of Bragdon's 2D representations of 4D structures and Sullivan's ornament.
When you go beyond the formal resemblance and look into the writing, you
begin to see the relationship between these expressions and higher
conceptions of consciousness/space/time as contained in Eastern belief systems.

For a quicker look at the diagrams, point your Acrobat-equipped browser to

http://members.iquest.net/~darrall

and go to the thesis section, where you can download or view the PDF file.

Mark