Ball State Head

Michael:
>BTW I notice that Ball State is running a search for a Chair, Department
>of Architecture.

Mark:
Yeah; Marv is stepping down. I haven't spoke to him since learning of this.
He's been the chair for a long time, and the department's done very well
under him. I hope he stays at BSU.

Michael:
>Interestingly, a "preferred qualification" is now
>"doctorate or Ph.D." Also, significantly, "working knowledge of the
>profession" rather than a required license to practice architecture.

Mark:
Hmmm. I can understand the first, but can only guess about the second.

.H.:
Let me guess.
The academy is taking over on a theoretical basis.
Practice is playing second fiddle to philosophies other than pragmatics.
The requirement for a license is diminishing - - - as a means of limiting
practitioners of architecture.
The requirement of a PhD is increasing - - - as a means of limiting
educators in architecture.
The power politics of the academy is going into full swing.
Who needs this activity of more unpleasant people as authority figures?
The emphasis should be on excellent teaching/learning by faculty/student
research.
A new head should encourage this approach. . .and give straight answers to
questions.

H o w a r d R a y L a w r e n c e

College of Arts and ARCHITECTURE
The Pennsylvania State Univeristy