Re: new architectural agenda

brian wrote:

and i was wondering if anyone would like to read/discuss some of the essays
in the book [Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture: An Anthology of
Architectural Theory 1965-1995, Kate Nesbitt, Editor, Princeton
Architectural Press 1996]. anyone else have the text, or a favorite
fragment..?

steve replies:

i'll be happy to discuss any part of the Theorizing book, however, i do not
own a copy of the book and returned the one i was reading to the library. it
might as well be you who introduces the first fragment(s) for discussion.

currently i'm reading (just started) Martin Pawley, _Terminal Architecture_
(London: Reaktion Books Ltd., 1998), which so far is interesting in that it
addresses architecture vis-a-vis our current media revolution, computers,
stock market flucuations, politics, etc. I didn't expect to like the book
after reading the back cover: "In Terminal Architecture, Martin Pawley
argues that nearly all modern architecture is misconceived. Focusing as they
do on form, not function, the buildings we appreciate in an art-historical
context no longer possess any cultural significance in this electronic age.
...." i'm actually going to finish this book because it's well written, and
after reading the first 64 pages i definitely want to know how Pawley
concludes his thesis. Pawley uses lots of facts and figures as well as
architectural examples (mostly in England) in an analytical way that seems
new at least within architectural criticism. the book is also very up to
date. (brian, i actually think you'd learn more from this book that from
Nesbitts anthology, but of course read both if you have the time.)