Re: new architectural agenda

>steve replies:
>
>i'll be happy to discuss any part of the Theorizing book, however, i do not
>own a copy of the book and returned the one i was reading to the library. it
>might as well be you who introduces the first fragment(s) for discussion.

will do, i am still working on 50 page introduction.. when i find
the right bit i will lob it onto the list. unfortunately, my computer
is still misbehaving and will need to have the motherboard and hard-
drive replaced either today or early next week, so it will take me
awhile to get anything up, but i look forward to doing so.. [the book
has a great overview of POMO...]

>currently i'm reading (just started) Martin Pawley, _Terminal Architecture_
>(London: Reaktion Books Ltd., 1998), which so far is interesting in that it
>addresses architecture vis-a-vis our current media revolution, computers,
>stock market flucuations, politics, etc. I didn't expect to like the book
>after reading the back cover: "In Terminal Architecture, Martin Pawley
>argues that nearly all modern architecture is misconceived. Focusing as they
>do on form, not function, the buildings we appreciate in an art-historical
>context no longer possess any cultural significance in this electronic age.
>...." i'm actually going to finish this book because it's well written, and
>after reading the first 64 pages i definitely want to know how Pawley
>concludes his thesis. Pawley uses lots of facts and figures as well as
>architectural examples (mostly in England) in an analytical way that seems
>new at least within architectural criticism. the book is also very up to
>date. (brian, i actually think you'd learn more from this book that from
>Nesbitts anthology, but of course read both if you have the time.)

ironically, i saw that book in Cody's Books in Berkeley and was going
to copy the statement from the back of the book (i think) about the role
of electronic media in relation to architecture, and query the list to
see if anyone's read it. i'd be interested in knowing more about your
take on the book's thesis steve. there is one book especially on my
mind, a used book at Moe's in Berkeley on Information Architecture.
it is not the graphic design variety, but, a methodological approach
to architecture, categorizing the architectural field programmatically
and parsing out error statements and common themes, in an analytic and
almost computerized finality. 30.00, too much to purchase, but it seems
to be a highly original work. anyone know anything about the book???

bc