Re: test (poem?) by whomevers

>From: Betty Woent <kenny_maekit@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>>>what are first principles of architecture..? [the outside has to be
>>>different than the inside]

>> (is there still an outside-inside?)

>SPACE...that is what its all about. the creation (or maybe just the
>simple recognition) or space. a courtyard is space, it is
>architecture. yet a courtyard need not have walls, only a defined
>space. a simple row of flowers would suffice. or, in its simplest
>form, only four flowers, one at each corner.

i've been thinking about this, and i agree and disagree to a point.
the issue, to me, was addressed in Paul Shepheard's book: What is
Architecture? (referenced in the recent architexts post)

that is, where to draw the line of the displine of architecture.
regarding the idea above, an articulation of space, i think is
surely architectural, but, does that make space architecture?

in some sense i can see/understand how it could be. it brings to
mind a book called 'the architecture of matter'.. seeing the way
that molecules are bound together, their structural and spatial
relations... the architecture of an atom, is it architecture?

it could be, i guess, with nanotechnology, creating machines at
the billionth of a meter s c a l e ..

i wonder where the line is drawn between ideas... why would four
flowers, defining a space, be considered architectuere and not,
say, landscape architecture..? is there any difference between
a flower and a column.. or are gardeners architects of nature?

thinking about it... about space as architecture, defining space
as an architectural act/event.. but then, is, say, the universe
architecture (and, down the line), are we needing to say there is
an architect (sic) of nature on the pantheistic s c a l e ? i do
not know if i can share that assumption/belief, if so..

>>>does architecture have any first (universal) principles.. [refrain]
>>
>> (economy-efficiency-delight to...)

>what is this economy you speak of? economy for WHOM? who is
>architecture for?
>efficiency...could you be referencing the 'streamlined' buildings of
>the recent past? efficiency of what? power, human energy, a users
>time?

this was a reference to the classical/neoclassical, starting with
Vitruvius' Firmness-Commodity-Delight, and, if i remember correctly,
a slang of Economy-Efficiency-Delight, which, i think is a popular
version of the same "principles"...

>QUESTION:
>is there ever a time in architecture when one can be simultaneously inside
>and outside a SPACE?
>is there ever a time in architecture when one can be simultaneously neither
>inside or outside a SPACE?

yes, being in a house with a radio/tv/computer. inside the room of the
house while transiting the global media infrastructure by electronic
spacetime machines. editing the four flowers, i would instead say
the electrical distribution poles (wooden/concrete) and transmission
towers (metal pylons) are defining that "other" space which we are
inhabiting when we are t|here, online...

welcome...
bc