Re: Designs That Stink

At 12:56 PM 5/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>given the fact that the (European) medieval church left a largely
>unsurpassed architectural legacy, the comparison between the medieval church
>and the modern cinema in all its manifestations may not distribute
>altogether evenly.

the legacy being left by the cinema is not as "real" or "physical" or
"architectural" i agree. but i would also argue that it is too soon to
evaluate this legacy, given the cinema's relative youth (less than a
century old) compared to church (as type, including temple, mosque, shrine,
etc.) of the past millenia.

granted, the act of "worship" (and patronage) eminating
>from modern cinema's public (masses) compares well with religious fervor,
>however, the legacy of this "adoration" falls largely in the bank accounts
>of movie executives

rather than vatican executives? ;)

-- essentially the medium that increasingly controls
>more and more of our culture is unprovisionally paid by the masses to do
>so

plus ca change...

-- and those execs love that fact that people continue to unobjectionably
>pay more and more. perhaps a comparison between modern cinema and ancient
>paganism provides a more apt equation.

i think the modern cinema/medieval church comparison is just fine. also,
do you mean the structure or the beliefs of paganism?

>as I grow older, it becomes clearer and clearer to me that regardless of the
>reality, many people choose to believe that which least offends or threatens
>them.

instead of "hurt me, hurt me?"

>sl
>
>ps
>isn't India the real world capital of modern cinema?

i don't think so, i've never seen an indian movie, though i hear they make
more of them there than anywhere else. (quantity uber alles?) but so
what, if nobody, especially the money spending denizens of the
multi-national corporate global economy don't see them. they are the trees
falling in the forest -- do they or don't they make a noise?

and therefore wouldn't
>a comparison between modern cinema and Hindu temples make for an even better
>learning lesson?

don't think so.

Ronald Evitts
90-96 Stanton St. 3A