Re: semiotecture

Hi Micheal

Sorry for the delay in responding - it's end of semester here in the UK and
things are pretty hectic...

I'm afraid I'm a new subscriber to the list and missed your comments on the
simulacra etc. - as well as the rest of the thread - yours was the first
thing that I received so you'll forgive me if my comment seemed a little
presumptious...

The bit of Heidegger I had in mind comes from his lecture "The Way to
Language" which is reproduced in "On the Way to Language" (Harper & Row
1982). I'm taking the quote a little out of context too - - he is actually
talking about design as "the unity of the being of language.." but I felt
that it can be usefully considered in terms of more conventional conceptions
of 'design' too.

"The 'sign' in design is related to secare, to cut - as in saw, sector,
segment. To design is to cut a trace. Most of us know the word 'sign' only
in its debased meaning - lines on a surface. But we make a design also when
we cut a furrow into the soil to open it to seed and growth. The design is
the whole of the traits of that drawing which structures and prevails
throughout the open, unlocked freedom of language. The design is the
drawing of the being of language, the structure of a show in which are
joined the speakers and their speaking: what is spoken and what of it is
unspoken in all that is given in the speaking." (p121)

Within the context of the rest of the book/lecture he unpicks the
relationship between the (unrepresentable) nature of language and the
moments in which it reveals itself through the bestowing of thingness and
the bring ing into presence of those things (including speaking subjects).
I guess that you could insert your view about the employment of different
strands in co-operation into this. Heidegger suggests that language cannot
be limited to those forms of expression which obviously carry meaning and
are motivated by that function. As he points out " A man may speak, speak
endlessly, and all the time say nothing. Another man may remain silent, not
speak at all and yet, without speaking, say a great deal."!

(""Say " means to show, to let appear..")

and

" The essential being of language is saying as showing"

mark