FW: semiotecture

Brian Carroll wrote:

>Other 'ways of the architect' I discern in your post, and
>which have relevance to the design of 'real' buildings:
>
>1.The physical manifestation of 'Platonic Ideal'+ADs- the
>expression of abstract concept.
>2.The analysis and assembly of functional parts and volumes.
>3.The interconnectedness of buildings in a wider whole:
>context, distributed design, collaborative design. This
>implies that there is indeed reality outside of our
>subjective selves.

it could even be a pyschoanalysis of architecture as text...
Jungian archtypes as Platonic solids in the collective
architectural image bank of i-maginations..

Hi Brian

In the opening pages of Civilisation & Its Discontents, Freud makes some
interesting remarks about the nature of memory and psychic structure in a
metaphorical pasage about the architectural history of Rome. Malcolm Bowie
once memorably suggested that this could provide the basis for thinking
Freud as town planner!

mark