Re: iconodules

i agree with most of what you say, and add the following:

the proceedings have been consistent with the current (pathology) "cult of
personality" which won the day in the wtc process. libeskind's "getting a
charge" when he touched bedrock is, i agree, pathetic, but plays right into
our worshiping of his personality, as conveyed by our latter day
evangelists, the media. the individual, the self, the ego, these are the
sacred in our society, it seems.

i recall also eric owen moss describing architects as the priests of "our"
society, another arrogant, presumptuous pretension which libeskind's
selection and character represent.

and interesting to hear on npr this morning a discussion about eurabia, and
the decline of christianity, the rise of islam, the clash of cultures, all
of which got me to thinking about religious faith, and how our society, in
its secularism, doesn't seem to have anything approaching the radical
islamist's faith/zeal/passion. what would i sacrifice my life for? patrick
henry would do it for "liberty." would any of us?

but at lunch now and work awaits....

RONALD EVITTS ARCHITECT
1201 Broadway, Room 503
New York, NY 10001-5405