Re: iconodules

'... The austere, white Protestant church in the
seventeenth-century
neoclassical style of Christopher Wren (the fount of
American church
design) is a temple to reason, with no images...'

This is 'true' while ignoring America's Spanish mission
architecture.

"I see a real problem in your view in that you see diversity
as an academic fad as well as something that I am latching
on to because I want to see change happen. What I'm doing is
trying to come to an understanding of the practice and
manifestation of architecture as it exists today, and part
of how I'm doing that is to look at trends both recent and
older. I am interested in diversity actually because I have
over the last few years become very interested in
non-Western architectures. Additionally, I have been
compiling a strict chronology of architecture on a complete
global scale. Without the usual Western categorization of
architectural history, it is very enlightening to
collectively see exactly what architectures and styles were
executed on this planet at any given time. For example,
notice what Gothic cathedrals and what Hindu temples were
built at the same time, or the temporal relation between
Mayan and Romanesque architectures. Even regionally, look at
the incredible diversity of architecture built within all of
Europe between 1517 and 1636 when viewing on a year by year
basis."
--excerpt
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0101&L=arch
itecthetics&D=0&I=-1&P=11900&F=P

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...