a civilian occupation

brian -- a thoughtful and thought-provoking review of the book, which is on my must-read list.
wonder if our architecture library will even order it. i'll try to have them do it.

if i were still teaching it, this book would fit in perfectly to my "architecture as power" course
at the university of tennessee. ever see the john hersey - ansel adams book on manzanar, the
internment camp for japanese-americans built in the desert? but i think you're right, this current
volume may be unlike any other. i can't recall a reference to german architects criticizing the
profession during WWII. i know there was some sort of resistance, because scharoun spent the war
years doing almost no building, but where were walter, marcel and erich on this matter? we know
where mies was. and domestically there was, of course, philip johnson on the nazi side (for which
he apologized - impetuous youth, you know, like john kerry for making all of those off-the-wall
comments during vietnam).

i look forward to seeing the book.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...