Re: a civilian occupation

Brian -- I appreciate your review of the book as well,
although I too have not read it. While the subject matter
fits into the notion of "architecture as power", I more get
the sense you're advocating an architecture of political
correctness. Thus it might be more beneficial to not demand
that the AIA advocate architecture that is politically
correct, but rather recognize the reality that the AIA is
not ever going to necessarily be an advocate of politically
correct architecture.

For me, political correctness is not the issue,however. It
is rather the objective documentation of what is actually
going on, and, judging from your review, this is what A
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION does. In like fashion, it would be more
desirable for the AIA to objectively document that is it
currently not a full-fledged advocate of politically correct
architecture, then for it to proclaim that A CIVILIAN
OCCUPATION is the benchmark of all that is architecturally
politically incorrect and thus the AIA will do all it can to
make sure this never happens again, because the latter
position only widely opens the door for (more) hypocrisy.

I'm all for objectively documenting hypocrisy, but I'm not
for planting new seeds of hypocricy.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...