the moment can be lost

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Kudlak" <steve.kudlak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <DESIGN-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: in a very strange way... and interesting differences in language

> I never thought of "ASAP" as having any feeling of
> being immediate or being like "stat" in the medical
> sense, but more of like finding the perfect moment
> when everything is just right.
>
> I wonder if Digital Photography will revive this type
> of stuff. One can watch things on the little LED screen
> and hit the shutter button when perfect moments and
> compositions arise.
>
>disagree with you There, Steve !.
actually common digital cameras have some time delay between the first push on the button, to let the autofocus adapt to the distance, and a while later, eventually after one or two flashing lights, the pict is actually made, so a little later after you decided to took and picture something.
so Henri certainly would have disliked that kind of automatized post/reaction.
Even if high quality digital cameras reduce such delay, the diference between a common Leica M3 and a digital Nikon is that you must accept, by using a digital camera, to loose a certain amount of control on the events happening in front of your black box (if digital) when a simpler machine like a M3, a Nikkormat or a FTql Canon leave you commiting mis--takes but keeping a smart control of what you´ll engineer later in the black room.

Digital is faster, but...

about asap, i wanted to express the necessity of doing the stuff with the gear holding on your neck or hand at the same moment as you feel you have to do it, without having to unstuff, unpack, unprotect,ungear, un-something.

I still remember a friend, good photographer, who always lost a lot of time placing lenses, filters, or accessories each in his own pacakge after each pict he made.
If the gear is packaged instead of under some handkerchief, even if digital, the moment can be lost.

Best regards to all...
P.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...