AMERICAN LANDSCAPE AWARDS 2004.

The Tidewater Residence designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, received one of the awards of honor from the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Photo: William Abranowicz

The private garden by poet Anne Spencer is the subject of award-winning book, Half My World.
Photo: Courtesy of Jane Baber White, Archives of the Southern Memorial Association

Click on thumbnail images
to view full-size pictures.

AMERICAN LANDSCAPE AWARDS 2004
by ArchitectureWeek
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/today.html
http://www.ArchitectureWeek.com/2004/0818/news_1-1.html

In July, the American Society of Landscape Architects
(ASLA) announced the recipients of its 2004
Professional Awards. Reflecting the breadth and
environmental sensitivity of the profession itself,
these exemplary projects range in scope from
residential gardens to regional master plans.

ASLA jury chair Frederick R. Steiner, who is Dean of
the College of Architecture at the University of Texas
at Austin, commented on the honorees: "The best
projects displayed great understanding of natural
processes, considerable sensitivity to people, and a
high level of design acumen. I believe the award
recipients exemplify the many contributions that
landscape architects are making to improve our built
environments."

One of the awards of honor for design went to Nelson
Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects for the Tidewater
Residence in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The seven-acre
(3-hectare) site for this house and garden is set on
Lynnhaven Bay, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay, one
of most biologically productive estuaries in the United
States.

The site is in a suburban development where houses
dominate the waterfront and where bulkheads have
typically replaced the natural shoreline stabilization
provided by tidal marshes. In contrast to that
destructive practice, these landscape architects opted
for the sustainable design of a garden that respects
the sensitive local ecology.
... full story continues online (10 images):
http://www.ArchWeek.com/2004/0818/news_1-1.html