Re: Architects from D.C.?

Ryan,

I worked in the DC area for 5 months last year. Does that
count? Now again enervated and delirious in architect-surfeited
NYC.

DC megaplex, the national security architecture, was wondrous,
couldn't get enough of the profligacy and perdurability of it, acres of
marble and pre-cast and bollards, swarming with fearsome ninjas
on sidewalks, rooftops, highways and bridges. NYC's shallow
vainglory is a gypboard blowdown by comparison, NYPD indifferent
to vile designs on government lucre.

Out in pastoral Virginia horseland I was accosted by the feds and
state police while photographing a visually stunning intelligence facility,
huge bright white Bucky domes covering communications gear, sheeps
meadowed, towering over puny Civil War monuments, as if the Outward
Bound camp of teenage leviathans from Uranus.

The CIA rentacops confiscated my video tape and digital chip. Promised
to give them back after the war on terrorism is won -- but it's to be
neverending hoots Rummy, esteemed alumnus of Cold War.

What cosmic chutzpah the DC war-architects have. The limitless
budgets, the neverending schedules, the lack of deadlines, the seduced
innumeral youngsters induced to kill and maim and done to likewise.

Lebbeus Woods shakes his head, moans what hath DC designers
wrought. You knew Leb's father was a career Army officer?

John

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...