Apprentice and Master.

http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/html/appren.html
"The apprenticeship system came to Maryland from England during the colonial period. It was a form of servitude, but the apprentice, unlike the slave and indentured servant, could not be sold, assigned to another, or taken out of state. Nor was the individual listed as personal property in estate inventories. Until 1794 the county courts handled apprenticeship matters, after that the county orphans courts.

A master was obliged to give an apprentice good and sufficient clothing, meat, drink, washing, and lodging. Some contracts, called indentures, specified craft apprenticeships, where the apprentice was trained in a useful trade and usually given some schooling. Young men in their teens were quite willing to apprentice themselves under these terms. In non-craft apprenticeships there might be no education component, and the male apprentice performed farm work and the female housework. Males usually served to age twenty-one and females to age sixteen. Court justices would hear disputes concerning apprenticeships. An apprentice being cruelly treated might be assigned to a new master. A runaway apprentice could be required to serve additional time.

An orphan, a minor whose father had died, could be bound out if the income from his or her inherited estate was insufficient for maintenance, support, or education. Children who were destitute, beggars, illegitimate, or residents of the county poor house could be apprenticed. A father could bind out his child, and any manufacturer or mechanic could take a male child as an apprentice. In the early 19th century other children were identified as potential candidates for apprenticeships: child of a pauper or vagrant, child of an unemployed free negro, male convict whose sentence expired before age twenty-one, female convict whose sentence expired before age sixteen, and child born to a female convict.

In connection with apprenticeships, there are some terms for which explanations may be helpful. Rule of Three was part of the standard language in indentures to say that the apprentice was to learn to cast up accounts through the Rule of Three. To cast up accounts originally meant to reckon accounts, but came to mean learning basic arithmetic - addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and decimals. After this came the study of ratios, which was called the Rule of Three because the student was given three facts and had to find the fourth. If a garrison consumes 25 barrels of flour in 4 weeks, how many barrels will be consumed in 52 weeks? This was solved by determining ratio, that is, 4 weeks is to 52 weeks as 25 barrels is to 325 barrels. The answer was written with colons and double colons as 4:52::25:325. . ."

Some subscribers to Design List might find this interesting: Architect Bruce Goff, was given to apprenticeship by his father at the age of 12 years old. By the time he was 21 years old, he had designed his first building. Then, he served in the military service during WWII, and after WWII, due to scarcity of materials, he innovated uses of unconventional materials in the design of architecture. The following images about him and his work:

Bruce Goff is one of the gentlest men I have ever met. He came for a visit to Penn State shortly before his death; and it is there that I first met him. There was "An Exhibition of Movement" in our gallery at the time. That exhibition was a collection of basic design movements by my first year architecture students. The exhibition concerned analogue models of movements that required implementation into "iconic (actual movement) models". A lighting console was built to "fly" the actual movements. It contained various methods of lighting, s.a., polarized lighting, flood lighting, strobe lighting, strobe flood lighting, etc. The speed of the pieces could be varied as well. Their placement in space could also be varied. The auras produced from these movements were unexpected; and they were very beautiful. The intention of the work of these design products was to have students experience the total design process, and an evaluation of it. I am gratified to relate that Bruce Goff loved the work. Later, I arranged for one of my first year architecture students to do a summer apprenticeship with him. (The same student apprenticed with Kendrick Bangs Kellogg in the next summer.) These architects are considered Masters. And, apprentices, having studied and sacrificed their time and lives for awhile with Masters, have greatly benefited from their experiences in developing mastery of their art of architecture. I had the benefit of attending the Centennial for Bruce Goff in Chicago.

.H.