Birmingham School of Architecture, England.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/post/tm_objectid=14903006&method=full&siteid=50002&headline=failing-architecture-course-rebuilt-name_page.html

Failing architecture course rebuilt
An honours degree course suspended by the University of Central England after 90 per cent of students failed their final exams has been saved.

Admission to the Birmingham School of Architecture, which is almost 100 years old, was suspended by the UCE in the summer while it carried out an inquiry into the poor exam results - only six students passed their finals.

Following the investigation, an action plan for recovery was drawn up. The university said its decision to save the school was influenced by the hard work of its staff, led by Professor Jim Low, and strong support from practices throughout the region including the Royal Institute of British Architects.

UCE's pro-vice chancellor Phil Walkling said: "I'm very pleased about the decision and feel it's a real success story.

"We had a lot of local support from architecture practices. A lot of them wrote to us saying how much they valued the school and that was helpful in our decision to keep the school open.

"The findings of our inquiry were mixed and showed a number of things had gone wrong but staff worked really hard through the summer and helped a number of

students through their resits. I met the students last week and they were full of praise for the work that the staff had done. They felt the support and attention had improved 1,000 per cent."

The School of Architecture will begin recruiting students immediately to its BA and diploma courses which will resume in September 2005. It will now become a part of the Faculty of Art and Design.

Thirty first-year students who had been due to start their studies in September were forced to find alternative courses after the degree was suspended indefinitely earlier this year.

subscribers are deleted from the list.
- - -
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...